Monday 1 June 2015

Purple Papercut Love

Papercut love? I reckon this pretty much hits the spot!


This is Papercut's Clover dress. This wasn't one of those patterns which jumped out at me, until Kat made hers and I tried it on... Yep, that was it, I had to have one too! A bit of encouragement and enabling from Kat, Mel and Sandra and I somehow ended up with some viscose in a carrier bag from Spotlight! That was a couple of months ago, but it didn't actually get cut out and made up until the middle of May. Great, I have a dress ready for week one of Indie Pattern Month - Dresses :-) Such planning - yeah right!


I cut somewhere between a small and medium. Kat's was a small and I decided that since I have a slightly larger bust than her, I would would cut it just that wee bit bigger.


The pattern? Like all Papercut Patterns it is well drafted and with clear instructions. Admittedly this pattern is not difficult. It is really easy to put together, but half of this is due to the great instructions with great images from Katie at Papercut. She definitely knows how to write up pattern instructions. I think I got this pattern made up in a couple of days, plus hanging to let the hem drop.


The seams I stitched on my machine and finished on my overlocker using cream thread. The thread I used on the machine is dark red/purple to match the fabric. I suddenly realised when I came to stitch the centre front that I had some cream lace! Oops, dark thread will show. OK, so I actually changed the thread in the machine just for the lace in the middle. I didn't do the whole seam in cream, since I'd started sewing it already! One tip for sewing lace - lots of pins. Trust me, it will save you a whole lot of heartache!


I didn't actually check the length before hemming, but this dress needs a belt and I kind of guessed how much to hem it up. it looks OK, but I probably could have made it a bit shorter. So it's now in my sewing room to be shortened!


The details
Fabric: Burgundy/purple and cream viscose from Spotlight, March 2015, cream lace for the insert which was gifted from Mel. I reckon it works perfectly, and I know what she's used her lace for...
Notions: Thread and that's all it requires.
Pattern: Papercut Clover, size S/M
Changes made: I lengthened the skirt by about 6 inches. It is quite short on the pattern!
Another one/Recommendations: I definitely recommend this pattern, it is really simple to put together. The fit is easy and worn with an elasticated belt is great for those times when you might just have eaten a wee bit too much! I would love to make another one and might just do that!
Worn here: At Sandra's housewarming party. I put an RTW top under to keep me warm, as it was pretty cold out there and yes, if you hadn't guessed the wind was blowing (well this is Wellington!) A lot of photos ended up with my hair like this! Note to self: tie hair back in Welly wind!


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely dress! The pattern has a retro look to it and the beautiful fabric adds to it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete