Tuesday 15 January 2013

Recent bargains...

I know I'm supposed to be using up my stash, but that's this year and all but two pieces from this I bought last year - yep you might have guessed I'd talk my way around it somehow :-)

So, my purchases...

Before Christmas, Arthur Toye had his half price sale. The excellent Wellington blogging network made sure I knew about the sale and I was there as soon as my little stubby legs would carry me!

 A plain red suiting fabric (not sure - a dress), black "dolly mixture" sheer fabric (possibly a Pendrell?) and a black and white patterned fabric (more of below!)

 The black and white, printed in NZ, covered in silver ferns and kiwis - love it! A skirt?

 Sewing related fabric - isn't it great? I've got an ottoman which my father made years ago and I use it to store fabrics, etc. I'm going to re-cover it in this, since the current cover is pink flowery stuff which fitted my bedroom when I was about 12 :-)

Stretch cotton - I love these colours. It's beautiful and so cheery. I'm determined this is going to become a shift dress when I find a decent pattern!

These were great bargains. I think the whole lot came to about $100! It just had to be done!

Then this week Global Fabrics have their VIP sale - 40% off! :-) First day today, I was there... I was reasonably firm on myself and one of the assistants stayed with me to make sure I didn't buy loads - she was very good, not pushy or anything, but so helpful with ideas. So these are my purchases, hot off the press - or should I say out of the bag this evening?

 A grey and white stripe stretch cotton. I've actually bought this to make a shirt for Mr N. It will be the first shirt I make him and still don't have a pattern, although I'm toying with Burda 7767, knowing how much success Carolyn has had with this pattern. Any recommendations and possibly pitfalls with making a man's shirt will be gratefully received.

This is wool/silk mix (I think!) It'll definitely need dry cleaning, but look at it, the crossways threads are dark blue and the lengthwise threads are pink, so the solid colour looks purple, but depending on the light or how you're looking at it, the colour changes. Love it. This is probably going to be a lined straight-ish skirt of some description - possibly a Beignet?

So, although I'm not trying to add to the stash, I've bought fabrics with wardrobe staples in mind, which is half of what I'm intending to do this year, ie more wearable separates (not dresses for posh occasions of which I don't go to that many!). Plus the fabric to make a start on my less-selfish sewing :-)

8 comments:

  1. Ohh love that pink/purple flowers on black cotton sateen, I never saw that one or it definitely would have come home with me too!

    I like the fern fabric for a skirt, do it :) It's nice because you don't see the kiwis straight away and it looks silvery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to make both up. Excited about the fern fabric - I'm intrigued to see how many actually notice the design :-)

      Delete
  2. I also didn't see that sateen, and would have loved it! Perhaps they had it out the back and brought it out after I'd cleaned out the joint.

    Because of said spend up I avoided Global but oooooh I love that purple shot with blue wool silk blend. It's so very me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was certainly chuffed when I saw that sateen. My mucky mitts grabbed it immediately, no umming and ahhing at all! Even MrN likes it - I call that a success! Now I just need a decent pattern!

      Delete
  3. Ooh pretty fabric! If you make a pendrell out of that fabric, we could both have floral pendrells, lol! I have a floral rayon I want to make one out of! :) (from A.T too actually!)
    What a gorgeous mix of fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A.T. has a lot to answer for! I reckon the fabric is made for a Pendrell, so it's pretty much a done deal! When I'll get round to it though...

      Delete
  4. I'm sending your blog some love. You can pick it up on my blog.

    You've got some lovely fabrics here. I love the pink floral stretch cotton and agree it will make a great dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelly. I think the pink sateen will get made up pretty soon, well as soon as I've found a suitable pattern :-)

      Delete