Tuesday 4 October 2011

My old faithful - Style 2721

Well I'm not really up to sewing at the moment. Full of a chesty cough, feeling quite yukky to be honest. As much as I'd love to get on with all my projects, I just know I'd make a mess of anything I start, so they must all wait for now.

In the meantime, I thought I would post about a very old favourite dress of mine. Many of you have commented on this dress during Self-Stitiched September '11, saying how much you loved the print, etc. So here's my old faithful. Quite a short post, as I'm casting my mind back about eight/nine years!

The pattern:  Style 2721


Does anyone know what happened to Style patterns? I remember they used to fit me like a dream.

I made view C, which was the longer version. There is an option of a small 'v' shape on the front neck, but I stuck with basic boat neck. The bodice is fitted with a seam running down from the armhole to the waist. The skirt is actually in three pieces with one seam in the centre back, it's then simply pleated onto the bodice. It has a lapped zip which looking at now, I made a very good job of! I doubt if I would have followed the pleats on the pattern, if I remember they didn't fit as well as I wanted them too.

 I'm quite impressed how I inserted this lapped zip!

The fabric is a Rose and Hubble fabric. I'm not sure where I bought it, possibly John Lewis (one of my favourite places to buy fabric!) If I remember rightly, I even made it on a borrowed machine. I didn't have a machine at the time and I think a friend lent me the machine!


I still have a swatch of the fabric left with the Rose & Hubble name!

I made the dress for a friends' wedding and although I swear I've one of the original photos, I can't find it anywhere. I have managed to work out that I made the dress in 1997!! Ouch, that's 14 years ago. I think the dress has definitely stood the test of time. The fabric has hardly faded and it washes like a dream. There was a point about eight years ago when I was about to take it to the charity shop because my other half at the time hated it. Boy, I'm glad I didn't! It's a staple in my wardrobe now and best of all, it still fits, even if I do weat it with a belt now!

Here are a couple of photos from Self-Stitched September...


No comments:

Post a Comment