Saturday 23 May 2015

La Sylphide #2 the monochrome version

I made my first Papercut Patterns La Sylphide last year from some quilting cotton. This monochrome fabric has been in my stash for some time and one day last year the Curious Kiwi and Modern Vintage Cupcakes came round and played Miss Bossy on my stash. This was one of the projects they bossed me to make! How could I let them down?


The fabric is perfect for a La Sylphide, it's a lovely drapey viscose. Perfect for the bow and the circle skirt. I really love how different my two versions of the same pattern are completely different. Yes I know this is a really simple comment when the fabrics are so different, but I don't care!


My first dress I made no changes but decided that it would be a good idea to do an FBA to help the bodice fit better. Now there is not a great deal of difference between my high and low bust but an FBA helps with this bodice where there is just a waist dart. I think I possibly did a 2cm FBA, it might even have been a wee bit less than that. The bust dart created is small, but it's just enough to ensure the bodice fits better and has that little bit extra shape where I need it.


The width of this fabric also meant that the skirt is very much about the fullness of the original pattern too. I did lengthen the skirt patterns by about 6 inches. Consequently it's full and swishy! :-)


All seams were finished on my overlocker.


The details
Fabric: Black and cream viscose from Bishop's Stortford market, UK, bought September 2011
Notions: Thread, interfacing and buttons
Pattern: Papercut Patterns La Sylphide, size M
Changes made: A small FBA and lengthened the skirt
First worn: To work in Sydney, the week after Easter, photos here on our lower deck at home. Worn here for tea with the WSBN girls and an addition at The Little Teapot in Wellington (for more see my next post...)
Another one/Recommendations: I really do love this pattern and made up in viscose, it's so feminine and floaty. I love it. I think I might be tempted to make another and it's actually relatively fast to make up too.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great - a definite vote for the bossiness of the WSBN!

    ReplyDelete